Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A chair, a chair, a bench!


From the minute I saw these two chairs many, many months ago at the Salvation Army I knew what I wanted to do with them. Through my many late night sleepless Pinterest perusing sessions I had come upon a super cute chair bench of sorts...I don't remember whose it was, but I knew I wanted to make one.


These chairs had some fabulous roses carrved into their press back design. They had originally been cane seated, but the caning was long gone. They also had several what I call "owies" that would need some nailing, some clamping, and some gluing.


After making the necessary patches and repairs, I placed them upside down on a large sheet of paper and traced their basic shape to create a template for the new common wooden seat. I purchased a large piece of crafters pine at Lowes and cut out my traced pattern with the jig saw. My husband helped me to route a nice smooth edge around the perimeter. I attached it with wood glue and screws from underneath.



After a good sanding I applied two coats of primer followed by two coats of ivory white. I never wavered on my color choice...it was always going to be white. Then it was time for my favorite part; the distressing! I just love how a piece comes to life with the simple use of sandpaper.




I always knew I wanted to find a cushion fabric with roses on it to tie in with the chair backs. I originally intended to make one large cushion, but I just couldn't get it to fit right with the hip rests. After many failed attempts I cut it in half and made two cushions in the perfect ivory and rose pattern.


I think it would be a beautiful addition to a little girls room, the entry of a cottage home, or out on a covered porch. In fact, I think I might create another more rustic version for my own back porch.




Linking up to these lovely ladies:







Furniture Feature FridaysPhotobucket



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special











giveaways

www.savvysouthernstyle.net









vif187






The Shabby Nest













Beyond The Picket FenceFrench Country Cottage





































































































































































































































 


11 comments:

Sara Whalen said...

I will be keeping my eye out for some chairs! I can't wait to make a bench.

Debra@CommonGround said...

what a fun idea! love those floral cushions!!

Eclectic Red Barn said...

What a cute bench. The chairs were awesome. It's nice when an idea comes together. You did a great job.
Have a great weekend,
Bev
@ Eclectic Red Barn

Old Red Barn said...

The chairs are beautiful! I invite you to join my link party, every weekend. Crafty Country Cottage @ Old Red Barn.

Goedele

Kammy's Korner said...

Hello Gorgeousssss!!!

MONICA LIVAS said...

Beautiful idea!LOVE it!

Marti @ SewLicious Home Decor said...

Absolutely adorable! I would love for you to link up at SHOW-licious Craft Showcase.

Just follow the link.....http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2013/04/show-licious-craft-showcase-26.html

Marti

Unknown said...

nice idea...
things to do with kids in houston

Things to do in Los Angeles said...

This is called desi juggad.
sports club la dc

Bui Minh trading said...

đại lý INAX
INAX giá rẻ tại hà nội
báo giá thiết bị vệ sinh INAX mới nhất
báo giá gạch INAX 2020

stone decor said...

اسعار حجر الواجهات

تشطيب واجهات فلل

اسعار تشطيب واجهات فلل حجر

ديكورات تشطيب واجهات منازل

انواع الحجر الهاشمى للواجهات

اسعار توريد وتركيب الحجر الهاشمى

سعر الحجر الهاشمى فى مصر

واجهات حجر فرعونى